Monday, April 28, 2014

Glitter Dragonfly


This year we have made our vegetable patch twice the size.  If I was asked what we have planted it would be easier to say what we aren't trying.  There are various berries, beans, tomatoes, onions, lettuce, radish, peas and lots more.  M loves helping me in the veg patch, picking things and making salads (just wish he would eat the salad).  So I decided to make it a bit more interesting for him.  The first thing we decided on was to make some dragonfly's.

On pinterest I saw a great idea on Twig and Toadstool  for making them using maple seeds.  But it was the wrong time of year to go out collecting the seeds.  I really must try these later in the year.

 
 
 
So we came up with our own twist on these using an empty drinks bottle.

 
 First of all I cut out two pairs of wings from the plastic bottle and stuck them together.  I used a glue gun for this as I knew that it would do the whole job.


I then made two holes in the centre and put some thread through them to tie the wings to a stick we were using for the body.  You could just glue with wings to the stick but I decided this would also be useful to hang it up with as well. 

 
Once that stage was done we got messy.  M covered the wings with glue spreading it out with a paintbrush.  We then covered it with glitter.  To stop this being to messy we got a tray with a sheet of paper in and did the glitter over that.  The spare glitter could then be put back in the container and didn't get all over the table and floor.
 
Then all we had to do was go outside and hang it up.
 

 
When the plants are growing more we have a lovely Papier Mache tortoise to put out and I'm also playing with my sewing machine to make clothes for a small scarecrow.
 
I've found lots of other ideas on Pinterest that I would love to have a go at Plastic bottle flowers, bug hotels, stepping stones etc.  To have a look at these go to my Pinterest board Gardening with Kids.

6 comments:

  1. These are so lovely! Anything sparkly and upcycled gets my vote ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so pretty! Thanks for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is pretty and I bet it was fun to make too!
    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute. Thanks for linking to the Outdoor Play Party.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.