Friday, January 31, 2014

Dictionary Treasure Hunt

 
We have been working on words, spelling and writing recently.  At Christmas we bought a kids dictionary.  I'd been wanting to look at it with Matthew, and then came up with the idea of turning it into a treasure hunt.
 
I'm sure lots of us have different dictionaries so this wouldn't be something that could be printed out.  It is however very easy to do.
 
All I did was flick through the book and work out questions that might interest Matthew.
 
 
What is the first word in the dictionary?
What picture is on page 166?
What word comes after dragon?
What colour is the flower?
What is the plural of sock?
How many suitcases are there?
Is there a girl or boy on the swing?
What is the tiger standing in?
How many continents are there?
 
The last question I did was
What word comes after Friday?  Look here for the treasure.
 
The answer to this was Fridge.  If he looked in the fridge he would find the treasure.  I have a tube of Smarties tucked away for him to find.
 
I then decided to make a work sheet for him to fill in the answers.  But you could just write a list of questions and ask them.
 
 
I did this work sheet using word.  I made a table and entered the questions.  Then I just removed a lot of the boarders leaving a line for the answers.

We love doing word games so when ever I find something on the internet I save the ideas in Pinterest.  Look here for other ideas that we have saved to have a go at another day.

4 comments:

  1. What a fun way to explore the dictionary! Thanks for including the printable. When I taught 3rd grade, my kiddos loved to have dictionary races. We would time how long it took to find their spelling words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. I included a photo showing the printable I did for my son. But it would only work if you had exactly the same dictionary. But so easy to make for yourself using the dictionary you have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this idea an printable!


    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute. I've been looking for dictionary ideas because we just haven't explored the dictionary very well. I model using it, but can't bring myself to do boring dictionary exercises in workbooks. Thanks for this idea! I've bookmarked this page!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.