Thursday, October 17, 2013

Silly sentences


This is a game we did a long time ago when Matthew was just starting to learn to read.  We printed lots of words out on pieces of paper to make silly sentences.

The words started easy.



We started with easy words.

 
And then added words of things that he was interested in.  And names of places he knows.

 
Then we started to make sentences the sillier the better.
 
Start short and gradually get longer and sillier still.
 
 
You can also start with a short version of a word and then make it longer.
 
 
Take it in turns with you and the kids making a sentence or adding a word.
 
Looking back now it might have been good to put nouns on one colour adjectives on another.  If I had done this I could have used the same words now for explaining these things.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. This is a great idea and will definitely help with reading and sentence construction! Came over from the TGIF Linky party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anna. I love it when people comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We haven't started sentence building in my house yet, but I LOVE this idea. Thanks for sharing at the #Lovetolearnlinky. I am planning on featuring this post you shared last week. Please stop by again to see your feature and link up again. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea; I think my son would enjoy writing sentences this way, and it will help reinforce his reading. #LaughAndLearn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea for writing sentences with kids!

    Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.