Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Papier Mache pumpkins

I saw this idea on Pinterest and decided I just had to give it a go.  Paper Mache pumpkins just looked so great and would last a lot longer than the real thing.  As we started to make them I realised we were rather early for Halloween.  So in the meantime they are being used as Autumn decorations and will then be given faces for Halloween

You need.
Balloon
String
Newspaper
Wall paper paste
Paint brush

These are so easy to do.  Thanks doodling in my mind for this great idea (Paper Mache pumpkins)

First of all blow up a balloon.  (Doesn't need to be orange as you won't see it in the end)  And then tie string around it to get a pumpkin shape.

Then we cut up some old newspapers into small pieces.  Doesn't matter how even they are.  To keep things a little less messy we decided to put the paste on using a paint brush rather than dipping the paper in the paste.

 
Luckily it was a nice warm sunny day so after a couple of layers of paper we put it outside in the sun to dry.  I decided this would be quicker than putting on lots of layers and then drying the whole thing.  Once this was dry more layers were added with a final layer of old white paper or tissue paper to make painting easier.
 
Then the paints came out.

 

2 comments:

  1. These would be so fun to make with my kiddos. I love how they look! I just pinned this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love making paper mache pumpkins. We have made them into pinatas for our Halloween parties too. Thank you for sharing at the #Made4Kids Link Party!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.