Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Compass direction pictures

 
Matthew is always asking questions and interested in all sorts of things.  So I try to find activities to continue that interested.
 
For a long time he has been interested in compass directions North, South, East, West.    So I came up with this idea for drawing pictures using compass directions.
 
 
For this we needed squared paper.  The squares on mine were a bit small so I printed out a table of squares in word.  I decided to mount this on card and cover it with sticky plastic.  Or you could laminate it.  If you then use board markers the sheet can be re used.
 
As some of the pictures use directions such as North East as well as the simple ones, I printed out a picture of a compass to make things easier.
 
 
I had previously worked out some directions to make simple shapes such as a letter, house, fish and cat.
 
 
I'm looking forward to see how Matthew gets on with this, next time we need a quiet activity.
 
 
If the grass wasn't so wet, I would have been doing this in the Garden with tent pegs and string. 
 
We finally got a dry day out took this idea into the garden.
 
 
 
I couldn't find the spare tent pegs so we used bamboo skewers instead.  It had rained the day before so the ground was nice and soft.  We then used a ball of string to make the picture.  Matthew loved doing the picture and then decided it was my go and he would read the instructions.
 

 
 
Matthew then decided the string and sticks would make a good spiders web.
 
 

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful way to learn. this is such a great post and educational too

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing this, what a brilliant idea, will need to try this with Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fabulous idea. What a great way to build on his interests. You will be out orienteering before you know it ;-) Thanks so much for sharing at the Outdoor Play Party

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments. He has always loved anything to do with maps. He was my guide at the zoo yesterday reading the map he had been given.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this activity! We're working on cardinal directions right now too - I may have to incorporate your ideas in just because they look like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this idea. We will have to give this a try in the spring. What fun. Thanks for linking to the Outdoor Play Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a fun idea! Thank you for linking up to the Thoughtful Spot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great way to teach direction.
    http://www.letsplaykidsmusic.com/mary-had-a-little-lamb-first-piano-lessons/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really great way to introduce map reading! I can't wait to try it with my girls. Maybe I'll bury a treasure at the end of the picture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea with the treasure at the end. I'm planning a woodland party at the moment that might have given me an idea.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all of your comments, to see what you get upto and what you think of our ideas.